Dear Reader

Not a bookselling site - just a place where I can chat about what I've been reading lately.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Heavens! zut alors!

I've had a cold the last few days, and yesterday I was reduced to reading a Betty Neels book called Heaven Around the Corner. I'd bought it on vacation a couple of weeks ago, because I thought it was a Betts that I didn't have. After a chapter, I realized I was wrong. I own a copy (now I own two. Drat!) and I'd read it before. The heroine is incredibly naive - a nurse who takes weeks to realize that her patient is an alcoholic. And then, the patient falls in love, and everyone says, "oh, now she has something to interest her, so she won't be an alcoholic anymore." The book was written in the early 1980s, when Betts was at least 60, but still - as I finished this Betts, I had the rare feeling that I was wasting my time. I should stress (confess?) here that I own nearly every Betty Neels book, and I have a bookshelf filled with them. A nearly complete Betts collection adds up to about 100 of her very similar books.
A copy of Carolyn 101 by Carolyn Kepcher landed on my desk today. Yippee!

3 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Mara said...

Aww, weeeness to you for reading books all the time! XD *claps* Most people I know dont.... -_-

Right now I got about 15 library books that I need to get my butt in gear reading them.... *sweatdrop* But yay for you! XD

It's too bad about Heaven Around the Corner... :( I think that's part of the reason I've bought a total of ONE book out of my own money (my Mother bought me another one once....XD Heir Apparent. It rocked wonderfully... XD If you like fantisy and a bit futuristic, with a slightly crabby teen age girl as the main character, then I'd recomend it for you. ^___^ XD). :S But wee for you and, Carolyn 101! XD

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger DearReader said...

I'm glad you liked Heir Apparent. I read that a few years ago. I *just* read a new book about a girl who is really into computer games, and then winds up meeting someone from the game she's in. Fascinating stuff - but I can't remember the title or author!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger DearReader said...

I went home and looked it up: Head Games by Mariah Fredericks. I thought it was a fascinating read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home