Dear Reader

Not a bookselling site - just a place where I can chat about what I've been reading lately.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

no one can deny that these are difficult times

My life has been getting in the way of my reading this week, which is tiresome. Between re-arranging the study (new shelves will make it tidier, but it's not there yet), decorating for the holidays, working and attending a Christmas party last night, I've barely read at all this week. In free moments, I've been reading The Growing Summer by Streatfeild. I've never read it before, and I may never read it again. It's one of her later books, and it isn't very good. There aren't even flashes of good classic Streatfeild, and even the Gemma books have those!
Is my life difficult? Well, no. Only as difficult as I choose to make it. The title for today comes from the Chess soundtrack, which I've been playing over and over again in the car for the last week. I've been totally hooked on it lately, despite how bad it is. I'd love to get this soundtrack (the one with the black cover) on CD for Christmas, so I can skip all the screechy Florence songs and put the Arbiter's song on repeat.

3 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Michele said...

There will never be enough time to read everything we want to read. Hopefully the afterworld will have books, so people like us can finish everything and still have time to go back for seconds!

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger DearReader said...

Ohhh, I never *thought* of that! What a great idea - an afterlife with endless time for reading. Presumably, it would have fully stocked shelves, too, with no waiting lists for books!

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger DearReader said...

I *did* get this soundtrack for Christmas, as it turned out. There's a song ("Florence Quits") that's not on my tape, but it's not very good. Having the Arbiter's song on repeat has been very, very gratifying!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home