Dear Reader

Not a bookselling site - just a place where I can chat about what I've been reading lately.

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

I love the library

Here's why I like the Library: you can check stuff out without having to commit to purchase. This works well for very light reads (like Marion Chesney regencies or Meg Cabot books) or books of ephemeral interest. I just requested Carolyn 101: Business lessons from The Apprentice, by Carolyn Kepcher. It's not a book I'd necessarily want to buy - after all, my near-obsession with The Apprentice can't last forever - but certainly I'll want to read it.
Then again - I might buy it, if I enjoy the first reading enough .
I've been working on an essay about L.M. Montgomery, so I've been frantically skimming (in some cases, especially the short stories) or reading the books. Rainbow Valley improved - I hadn't read it for years, because I didn't remember liking it - but I enjoyed it this time around. I don't mind Chronicles of Avonlea or Further Chronicles of Avonlea, but the short story collections edited by Rea Wilmshurst are frustrating. They're organized by subject (tales of achievement, Christmas tales, matrimonial tales), which makes the ending and plotline of each story in the collection drearily inevitable. A chronological arrangement (tales from 1906-1910, for example) would have been less tidy, but more instructive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home