Dear Reader

Not a bookselling site - just a place where I can chat about what I've been reading lately.

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Father's Arcane Daughter

Oh, my goodness, I just finished Father's Arcane Daughter. I haven't yet put all my thoughts about it into, you know, words and sentences, but: wow. I'm reluctant to say much about it (such as the identity of the arcane daughter), for fear of ruining someone else's reading experience. I was pleasantly surprised - when I first started reading, I thought, "oh, Winston is one of those extra-aware, extra-intelligent Konigsbutg protagonists." And he was, but that was less jarring in this book than Margaret's precocity in The outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place was.
Perhaps I'll write more about Father's arcane daughter after I've had time to digest it. Yesterday I read In the High Valley by Susan Coolidge. It was just crazy. In the last few chapters, Coolidge decided to pair everyone up, and have them move into the High Valley. People got married off, one character conveniently inherited a fortune, and two characters had serious illnesses at just the right plot points. She even had a little tableau where everyone was grouped around Papa at the end, much like Alcott's tableau around Marmee at the end of Little Women.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home