Dear Reader

Not a bookselling site - just a place where I can chat about what I've been reading lately.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

2 book clubs this week

I'm in two book clubs: the classics one (see a few posts ago) and one for kids, which I attend every other month so I can lead the discussion. These meet on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, and I haven't read either book yet. I tore myself away from Dame Frevisse (see last blog entry) for long enough to start Tuesday's book, The Shakespeare Stealer by Gary Blackwood. It's proving to be a quick read, thankfully. For Wednesday, I have to read The Bell Jar. Not looking forward to that - I think I'm too old for it.
In general, I think there are certain authors - Plath, Kerouac, Salinger - that can only be read for a few years of one's life. For me - for most people, I'd guess - that time was between the ages of 18 and 23. I'm not 23 anymore, so I'm not looking forward to Plath. I want her to get a grip, and be thankful for what she does have.
I guess "when you grow old, your heart dies". I told a high-schooler that last year, with a nonchalant deadpanned indifference, and he was appalled; he had no idea I was quoting Breakfast Club.
And speaking of medieval people taking holy orders, I came to work today and found the fourth Pagan book by Catherine Jinks (Pagan's Scribe) on my desk. Yippee! That'll be a good palliative (in its lesser-used sense of something that soothes but not heals) to the inevitable letdown when I finish the Dame Frevisse series. I'll re-read them all, so as to appreciate Pagan's Scribe more.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home