Dear Reader

Not a bookselling site - just a place where I can chat about what I've been reading lately.

Monday, December 22, 2014

Redeeming Love

I haven't been blogging about the Chalet School because it all got too depressing - just an endless slog of new girls being shown the ropes, half-term expeditions lifted from a guidebook, some perilous adventure, Joey having inappropriate boundaries with her old school, and (now that I'm well into the Swiss books) either Margot Maynard or Jack Lambert being annoying. (I haven't gotten to the book where Margot beans someone in the head, which could have killed the person, but doesn't get expelled, even though she's 16 or so. In fact, she becomes a prefect!)
Tonight I read Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers because a friend of mine talked it up. A couple of friends and I have planned a mini-book club later this week about it, even. It's not my usual cuppa, but I read it until 1:30 in the morning so clearly I got hooked. Truthfully, the melodrama and angst was on a par with any number of fanfics I've read, which would probably horrify Rivers if she knew that ("Yes, yes, good book, but have you seen that fanfic on AO3? Now there's a three-hankie weeper!"). I think the main character had PTSD, essentially, and that Rivers didn't really address how many issues this woman must have had - which is funny, because the whole book, practically, is about her issues!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home